Thursday 27 September 2012

Stick to My Guns in a World Full of Weapons


I found the meaning of life. Unfortunately I am contractually obligated not to tell any one what it is. Contracts.. they hold the key to everything. You can gain and lose a job over a contract. You can make or break a life with a contract. Contracts literally can give someone everything they've ever dreamed of, or they could take it away.

I read a fantastic (but long) quote yesterday. I believe it needs to be seen! "Whenever I talk to a band who are about to sign with a major label, I always end up thinking of them in a particular context. I imagine a trench, about four feet wide and five feet deep, maybe sixty yards long, filled with runny, decaying shit. I imagine these people, some of them good friends, some of them barely acquaintances, at one end of this trench. I also imagine a faceless industry lackey at the other end holding a fountain pen and a contract waiting to be signed. Nobody can see what’s printed on the contract. It’s too far away, and besides, the shit stench is making everybody’s eyes water. The lackey shouts to everybody that the first one to swim the trench gets to sign the contract. Everybody dives in the trench and they struggle furiously to get to the other end. Two people arrive simultaneously and begin wrestling furiously, clawing each other and dunking each other under the shit. Eventually, one of them capitulates, and there’s only one contestant left. He reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says “Actually, I think you need a little more development. Swim again, please. Backstroke”. And he does, of course." - Steve Albini

It's insanely accurate and incredibly awesome. I simply HAD to share it.

Any-who, moving swiftly along. I can't help but notice that Norway is moving ever closer. Or I guess we're moving ever closer to Norway. We got our tickets yesterday for the 9th of October. 4 days later but I think that's probably a good thing. I'm looking forward to spending a little more time with my Mom and 
family before I ship out.

I'm getting quite excited about spending some time with the Norwegian branch of the family lagoon. I would call it a tree but, y'know. It's a lagoon. It's got many different things in there and it makes for one interesting trip. I know some familiar faces that I'm looking forward to seeing again like Terje, Karoline and Jenny and there are a LOT of people in Emz life that I have yet to meet, which is also exciting. 

I don't really know any one of there so well, but I'm looking forward to getting the people who are most important to Emz. Because they are most important to me as long as they make her happy! I think I posted a picture before but I can probably post it again for any new-comers. Do remember that my 2nd (I think) blog post is a basic description of any one that I will probably mention here. 




So I think it's time for some top 5's. It's something I am always fond of, and I think it should be a regular segment.. or paragraph.. or whatever. If you have any suggestions, let me know! Today's top 5 should beeee.. top 5 hats.. not really though, it'll be my all time top 5 favourite songs. I have not yet decided if I will explain why they are my favourite songs. Ok, so, here we go. 

5. Requiem - The Confession

Requiem is a stunning song. I love the lyrics, mostly. This band is one of a kind. If you haven't heard their album then do it. They're amazing. This band generally has the best lyrics. Two of the members are now in another band called Sons of the Damned. Check them out if you like the Confession, or just have good taste in music. They're good, too. 

4. Simply Unstoppable (Yes Remix) - Tinie Tempah ft. Travis Barker & Katie Taylor

This song gets me pumped. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, I will get pumped for this song. Well, maybe not at a funeral or something, but in a normal situation.

3. Slither - Velvet Revolver

This song was one of the first songs I learned completely on guitar, and it's the only one I'm not sick of because I spent so much time learning it in year 1 of learning guitar. I love it. 

2. Blackbird - Alter Bridge

Another stunning song. The lyrics are my favourite, but I adore the entire thing. I know it on guitar (probably backwards at this point). Amazing track.

1. Afterlife - Avenged Sevenfold

This song is the one I used to get so many people in to A7X. I have a lot of fond memories of this song, and the people it reminds me of.

That's my list for today. Let me know if you have any ideas for any others. I tend to be pretty uninspired to make these types of things, but once I have an idea I can roll with it. Well, I think this is bloggy enough. 


Free my soul from ridicule, let it fly away
This is not the end
- Taylor Armstrong 

No comments:

Post a Comment